Research and Design Engineer
Ecotope is looking for a highly motivated and creative engineer to help research, develop, test, demonstrate, and verify performance of new technologies needed to decarbonize the building sector. We are a mission-driven company dedicated to transforming the building industry away from the use of fossil fuels to highly efficient all-electric systems. Our work at Ecotope focuses on three responses that the building industry needs to make to the climate crisis:
- Electrify Buildings
Aim to stop burning fossil fuels in our buildings and transition to highly efficient heat pump systems and other electric technologies.
- Efficiency is Energy
Work towards driving down the energy use in buildings to free up grid capacity for electric vehicles.
- When Matters
As our grid transitions to reliance on solar and wind generation, we strive to develop the technology to shift our energy use away from peak demand periods and into times of the day with plentiful solar energy.
Some of the things that you may work on
- Fundamental research to help manufacturers of new heat pump and thermal storage technologies optimize their products and find the best applications in the U.S. market.
- Design highly energy efficient buildings while demonstrating cutting-edge technologies for decarbonizing buildings.
- Collect performance data in the field to help optimize system performance, learn lessons for product and design improvements, and validate effectiveness of new technologies.
- Support development of codes, standards, guidelines, and programs needed to take proven technologies to scale in the marketplace.
Valuable abilities/attributes to excel in this position
- Practical engineering design sense needed to integrate new technologies into real world building applications in new and existing buildings.
- Ability to lead building owners, architects, contractors, and maintenance staff away from typical fossil fuel solutions to new emerging technologies.
- Ability to take a first-principles physics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics approach to understanding energy use in buildings.
- Change-oriented and able to approach new problems with little ego and a child’s mind; always seeking a better and simpler way of doing things.
The biggest challenges that you will face
- Developing approaches that are new and innovative while also keeping it simple.
- Finding solutions where multiple stakeholders benefit and win in a variety of ways. Our findings must be better than the alternative business-as-usual solutions.
- Managing overlapping complex projects with multiple stakeholders and multiple funders.
Previous experience that will help you quickly engage with our work
- M/E/P design experience in the building industry.
- Engineering degree or engineering license.
- Experience with the construction industry.
- Advanced experience with MS Excel. VBA scripting a plus.
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to write in a variety of styles and translate technical information for general readers. Excellent oral communication skills a plus.
- Experience using high-level programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB for data analysis.
- Experience working with heat pump systems.
- Experience using energy modeling software – EnergyPlus, eQuest, or IES.
- Experience using version control platforms – GitHub, bitbucket.
- Field experience, including commissioning, building surveys, and/or construction experience.
- Project management experience
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity to combine your engineering talent with your desire to address one of the most critical challenges of our time, come join our team at Ecotope. We are looking for people who are aligned with our mission, seek life-long learning, want to work in a flexible hybrid work environment with a commitment to work-life balance, and who are not afraid to challenge the status quo with leading edge scientific advancements.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND CULTURE
The compensation package offered for this position will depend on the scope of the final job responsibilities and the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers its permanent employees a benefit package including medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with employer safe harbor contribution, ORCA Card, and starting three weeks vacation plus sick and safe time, bereavement leave and civil duty leave.
Ecotope is an owner-operated business focused on the satisfaction of clients and colleagues, enjoying an informal and comfortable work place overlooking Pike Place Market. We promote creativity and innovation while also expecting efficient and effective project execution, striving to manage the company’s project load in support of a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees demonstrate a high level of independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the best person for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!
Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter.
- Resume, including list of hobbies or interests outside of work.