Engineering Project Manager (IV/V)
Do you want to combat the climate crisis through transformative building solutions? We have an opportunity to use your skills to contribute to energy efficiency and decarbonization.
Ecotope is looking for a creative, motivated, and organized Engineering Project Manager IV/V to lead projects to design, research, develop, test, demonstrate, and verify performance of innovative technologies needed to decarbonize the building sector. We are a mission-driven company dedicated to transforming the building industry away from the use of fossil fuels to highly efficient all-electric systems. Our work at Ecotope focuses on three responses that the building industry needs to make to the climate crisis:
- Electrify Buildings
Stop burning fossil fuels in our buildings and transition to highly efficient heat pump systems and other electric technologies.
- Efficiency is Energy
Work towards driving down the energy use in buildings to free up grid capacity for electric vehicles and future development.
- When Matters
As our grid transitions to reliance on solar and wind generation, we strive to develop the technology to shift our energy use away from peak demand periods and into times of the day with plentiful solar energy.
At Ecotope, we value creative, focused, highly communicative, and thoughtful individuals who bring a “can do” attitude. We seek out individuals who are aligned with our mission and are not afraid to challenge the status quo with leading edge scientific advancements.
As an Engineering Project Manager (IV/V), some of the things that you may work on include:
- Managing all aspects of design projects from initiation to completion. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of high-quality, efficient, and cost-effective engineering solutions, while meeting client expectations, meeting project budgets, assigning internal resourcing, and adhering to project timelines.
- Lead demonstration projects for emerging technologies and design strategies to drive market transformation. Learn lessons for product and design improvements and validate effectiveness of new technologies.
- Support development of codes, standards, guidelines, and programs needed to take proven technologies to scale in the marketplace.
- Delegate assignments affectively to staff in order to complete projects.
Valuable abilities/attributes to excel in this position:
- Practical engineering design sense needed to integrate new technologies into real world building applications in new and existing buildings.
- Focus on finding the simplest, most accessible solutions.
- Change-oriented and able to approach new problems with little ego and a child’s mind; always seeking a better and simpler way of doing things.
- Ability to communicate across multiple levels in the company to identify staffing needs and coordinate matching personnel.
- Effective communication across disciplines – engineers, developers, owners, architects, analysts, policy experts, etc.
- Ability to take a first-principles physics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics approach to understanding energy use in buildings.
The biggest challenges that you will face:
- Creatively develop simple solutions to complex challenges that multiple parties with different requirements can all agree upon.
- Managing a wide variety of different types of projects that include MEP design work, code and standards development, energy modeling, market transformation/emerging technologies.
- Deliver projects on-time and within budget. Maintain strong client relationships.
- Coordinate shifting schedules or staffing needs across multiple projects.
Qualifications and previous experience that will help you quickly engage with our work:
- Minimum 5+ years of M/E/P design experience in the building industry, with a focus on project management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing Engineering (or related field).
- Professional Engineering (PE) license.
- Sound writing skills, including the ability to write in a variety of styles and translate technical information for general readers. Excellent oral communication skills a plus.
- Well versed in building codes and green building rating systems (LEED, ESDS, LBC, etc)
- Proficiency with AutoCAD 2D, Revit, Trane/Trace, Microsoft 365, Bluebeam Revu.
- Experience using energy modeling software (EnergyPlus, eQuest, or IES), preferred.
- Experience using high-level programming languages (Python, R, or MATLAB), preferred.
Hybrid work arrangement:
- This position is not remote. There is an expectation of 1-4 days a week in office (downtown Seattle), but negotiable depending on individual circumstances and commute distance.
- $95,000 to $145,000/year
- Eligible for profit-sharing bonuses
- 100% paid medical benefits for employee
- 3% safe harbor to 401k regardless of whether the employee chooses to contribute
- Profit sharing
- Paid sick leave
- 160 hours of vacation plus a winter break closure for the last week of the year
- 8 additional company holidays
- Complimentary unlimited ORCA card
- Up to $2,000 annual training/development funds
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with subject line: “Engineering Project Manager (IV/V) Applicant – Ecotope”
Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter
- Resume, including list of hobbies or interests outside of work